Date:05 August 2011 - By: Peter Muthambi
Community members of Ha-Rathidili village in the Sinthumule area are still shocked following a tragic incident in the village, where a 32-year-old man burnt to death while asleep. The incident took place on Friday night, 29 July.
Calson Tshiovhe was alone and apparently asleep in a three-roomed house when the fire broke out. It was reported that the fire was caused by a heater that accidentally fell over and caused clothing to start burning. Relatives who arrived on the scene immediately took Calson to the Tshilwavhusiku Health Centre, but his injuries were of such a nature that he died on arrival at the health centre.
The family had no words to explain the horror of witnessing such a gruesome death. Some community members are now claiming that the man had been set alight by an unknown arsonist who wanted him dead. "It is very mysterious that the heater can cause such a cruel death. It is clear that the man has been burnt and who ever has done it must pay for it," said one of the sceptic members who did not want to be named.
Calson was staying with his younger brother, who was not at home when the incident occurred.
The family are now complaining that they do not have money to bury the deceased. "Everything that was in the house was burnt. It is a very difficult situation for the family and we do not know what we will do. We do not have money to bury him," said the victim´s father, Mr Alpheus Tshiovhe.
He added that he wished that his son could be buried with dignity and respect. The family, however, dismissed claims by the community that Tshiovhe´s death was a result of a plot by someone to kill him. "People must stop pointing fingers to each other. What we want as a family is for him to be peacefully buried so that his spirit can rest," said Alpheus.
The station commander for the Tshilwavhusiku police, Lt Col Freddy Shirinda, confirmed that members of his police team had visited the family, but the family did not open a case.
Anyone who can assist the family with funeral arrangements so that they can bury their loved one, can call Alpheus Tshiovhe at 073 1412 770.